National Bike Month

In honor of National Bike Month, I have officially become a bike owner! 

I really wanted to start biking to work this summer since I live close and it would save me money on gas, so I was in the market for a city bike. I had a list of needs however: 1) fenders 2) women's bike, and 3) rack in the back. I also didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for it. 

If you remember my post from last October, I talked about Public bikes. 
I absolutely fell in love with their Public C7 bike.

But with a price tag of $479, it's way over what I could pay. So the hunt was on.

I checked Starter Bikes on campus first--they sell refurbished used bikes for great deals--but unfortunately they didn't have any recent donations of bikes that were any good. Next I tried Criagslist, but nothing quite fit what I was looking for, and when I happened to find a bike that did, it had been sold already. So then I decided to see exactly how much new bikes cost, and found out that if you look in the right places, they are affordable!

I found the most gorgeous bike at Walmart for $139. It's a 700c Schwinn Admiral--and I think I'm in love.

It even looks like the one from Public that caught my eye to start with, but at such a better price!

I can't wait to ride it to work tomorrow--especially since tomorrow is National Bike to Work Day. Looks like I picked the perfect time to become a biker. 

(Safety first! I also bought a matching helmet)