The Family I Chose


In honor of National Friendship Day, I wanted to dedicate a post to my awesome belles -- Jamie and Sarah. I am so grateful to call them my friends and for them both being there for me throughout the years. (Still can't believe I can say years here, makes me think we are getting too old!)

Our origin story dates back to Spring Break of our senior year of high school. We had all known each other and hung out previously, but this was the trip that bonded us together -- mostly because none of us were interested in 'partying' with our other high school acquaintances and just wanted a chill vacation. There's one particular memory I have of the trip where we were cruizin' in my VW Beetle down the strip in PCB with Jamie in the backseat, Sarah in the passenger and me driving with the windows down. We were watching all the drunk people stumble down the street and past the cars and this one particular guy got really excited and ran through the middle of the cars screaming excitedly offering high fives -- so I stuck my hand out the window to give him one. It was hilarious until I realized his hand was wet with who knows what and my sudden germaphobe took over. I squeamishly asked if anyone had hand sanitizer in the car at just about the same time Jamie offered me some. As all three of us burst out into laughter, I knew then that we were meant to be lifelong friends.

There are so many similar funny memories I could share from college as well -- like a certain night involving Jolly Rancher vodka -- and even now, with me living 1,096 miles away, we still continue to make memories and share our lives together. These ladies are the family I chose, and I'm so glad we chose each other.